If you suspect Child Abuse or Neglect in Medina County, please call the
Medina County Child Abuse Hotline: 330.661.0800
or 855.O.H.CHILD (855.642.4453)
or 911 if there is immediate danger
The Ohio Department of Job and Family Services has launched 855-O-H-CHILD , an automated telephone directory that will link callers directly to a child welfare or law enforcement office in their county.
Reports can be anonymous.
What information is helpful when making a report?
- The name and address of the child you suspect is being abused or neglected
- The age of the child
- The name and address of the parents or caretakers
- The name of the person you suspect is abusing or neglecting the child and the address if available
- The reason you suspect the child is being abused or neglected
- Any other information which may be helpful to the investigation
- You have the option of giving your name or reporting anonymously. Giving your name can help the investigator clarify information. The agency will not give your name to the person suspected of abusing the child.
Please Note: All of the above information is not needed to make a report. If you are not sure you have enough information to report, always err on the safety of the child. Children services screens all reports to determine if there is enough information to investigate.
Process After Making A Report
In Ohio, after a report is made,
- A child protective services investigator will interview the child, family members, and others as deemed appropriate.
- The investigator determines if the child is being abused or is at risk for abuse.
- The case may be referred to local social service agencies, or to juvenile, family, or criminal court.
Make the call. Child Protective Services will determine whether to open a case and begin an investigation.
Trust your instincts. Suspecting abuse is enough reason to contact authorities. You do not need proof!